Mid-Autumn Festival (aka moon festival or mooncake festival, 中秋節) is one of the important festivals in Chinese calendar. I’ve grown up from a family that would have store-brought mooncakes every year. Since I moved to Australia, I’ve been pondering over the idea of making my own mooncakes. After many years, I made some traditional and trendy ones finally.
Coconut milk and pandan juice often go well together in making Chinese dessert. Off I went with this idea and made these mini snow skin mooncakes for our church gathering. The smell, taste and colour of both coconut milk and pandan are very unique, that you hardly find any other things to replace them. Fresh pandan leaves are not common here. I could source some frozen ones though, and was glad that it was a big hit in our gathering.
Pandan Snow Skin Mooncakes with Coconut Mung Bean Filling
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 60 mins
Yield: 16 mini mooncakes (50 grams each) Ingredients:
- 55 gm glutinous rice flour
- 45 gm rice flour
- 25 gm wheat flour / wheat starch
- 60 gm caster sugar
- 190 ml milk
- 30 ml condensed milk
- 25 ml vegetable oil (such as sunflower oil or canola oil)
- 40 ml pandan juice
- 2 to 3 drops of pandan paste / pandan essence, optional
- 320 gm mung bean filling (To make the filling, refer to this recipe.)
- 2 Tbsp cooked glutinous rice flour, for coating
份量 ： 150克 x 6个 （ 皮50克 / 馅100克）
Ingredients: (makes 10 x 5.2cm diameter mooncakes)
100g Koh fun (commercial fried glutinous rice flour)
70g Icing sugar
120g Cold water
300g Lotus Paste
50g Melon Seeds
- Sift Koh Fun and Icing sugar into a mixing bowl.
- Rub shortening into the flour mixture.
- Gradually mix in cold water till a soft dough forms.
- Scale and weigh 30g per portion for each mooncake. (According to the size of your mooncake mould.)
- Mix together lotus paste with melon seeds
- Scale and weigh 40g per portion for each mooncake filling. (According to the size of your mooncake mould.)
- Wrap each portion of filling with a portion of snow skin.
- Press into mooncake mould.
- Knock out and chill before serving.
Pretty impressed with the soft texture of the snow skin *yum yum* shall update on the texture of the snow skin after a few days. And for the mould… just like what Elyn promised! It is sooooo easy to use! no knocking or banging… 1 Word, NICE!
*UPDATES* the snow skin stays soft for up to 5 days! i stored mine in a container and pop it into the fridge. the skin tasted soft even after chilling. can be consumed immediately out of the fridge unlike some snow skin which tasted kind of hard.
A :PLANTA 120G,糖 40G,淡奶 1 1/2 TBSP(我用奶水代替)
B :芝士粉 1TSP,粟粉 1 TBSP,低粉 180G
巧克力粉 / 可可粉 35g